Sometimes it’s kinda fun to look back, especially when you can laugh at what you remember. Do you remember these?
Times are changing! Right!?
Sometimes the change is gradual and unintentional, other times change is targeted, and opposed. Consider the following that were inventions to target change yet they were criticized, opposed and spoken against when they were revealed:
- Automobiles – in 1902, they were scorned and the leaders said, “the prices will never be low enough”
- Liquid nail polish – in 1917, many doubted its usefulness
- Talkies – movies in 1928 had no sound. When sound was introduced, the actors declared “talking doesn’t belong in pictures” it will be too distracting
- Cheeseburgers – In 1934, in CA when cheese was added to beef, it was considered “just another crazy California idea”
- Personal computer – those in the field agreed, there was “no reason anyone would want one.”
My, how times have changed.
Some changes really do stick around. Like these changes that are turning 40 years old this year – they were introduced in 1980 and are still with us; even bigger and (mostly) better:
Times are changing.
We are creatures designed to live in the present. We cannot live in the past, nor can we live in the future. Yet, our past affects our present and our future.
Our mind seeks possibilities yet it resists change.
In these tenuous times of change, what changes will be temporary and funny to look back on?
What changes will continue to be opposed? Which will be defeated by opposition and criticism? Which will overcome and change our world?
Which changes will be around another 40 years and make make our world a better place?
Times are certainly changing…
Cheers to you.