A collection of facts that are interesting, odd, or even unbelievable. (I keep adding to this page, so the lists just keep on growing. Check back as often as you need something new to chew on) 🙂
These facts taken from NationalGeographic.com 1.20.22
- The world’s termites outweigh the world’s people.
- Panda droppings can be made into paper.
- If you traveled at the speed of light, you could reach Pluto in just 4 hours.
- 97% of Earth’s water is saltwater.
- There is cell phone reception at the summit of Mount Everest. (can you hear me now?)
Strange but true –
- There are 12 times more trees on Earth than stars in the Milky Way. Scientists estimate 200-400 billion stars and 1 trillion trees. Who knew???
- About a million people die every year from mosquito bites – I knew they were evil!
- Pluto hasn’t made a full orbit around the sun since it was discovered in 1930 – you think that you’re slow??
Source – The Environmenalist
- There are 28 kinds of “corpse flowers”. They each take 6-9 months to grow and then will begin to decay i a few days. The Pokemom characters Vileplume and GLoom were inspired buy these.
- Saturn could float on water. Although the 2nd biggest planet, because it is made of gas, IF you could find a body of water big enough, it would indeed, float.
- Your femer is stronger than concrete. Your thigh bone can withstand 4x as much pressure as the same amount on concrete. See, you ARE strong! (2)
Source – bestlifeonline.com
- Neutron stars can spin at a rate of 600 rotations per second.
- Space is completely silent.
- There is an uncountable number of stars in the known universe.
- The Apollo astronauts’ footprints on the moon will probably stay there for at least 100 million years.
- It’s possible for your body to survive without a surprisingly large fraction of its internal organs.
- During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools. Actually, Saliva is more important than you realize.
- The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.
- The cornea is the only part of the body with no blood supply – it gets its oxygen directly from the air.
- The human body contains enough fat to make seven bars of soap
6. Embryos develop fingerprints three months after conception.
7. Between birth and death, the human body goes from having 300 bones, to just 206.
** Think life and space isn’t amazing and designed masterfully??? Think again!
- The heart of a shrimp is located in its head.
- A snail can sleep for three years.
- The fingerprints of a koala are so indistinguishable from humans that they have on occasion been confused at a crime scene.
- Slugs have four noses.
- Elephants are the only animal that can’t jump.
- Mother Earth has a generous waistline – 24,901 miles. So you got nothing to be ashamed about!
- Earth is spinning right now at 1,000 mph, and look, your hair isn’t even messed up.
- Turtles can breathe through their butts. Humph…
- Seahorses mate for life, and when they travel they hold each others’ tails.
- Dogs nose prints are as unique as human finger prints and can be used to identify them.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
- Dartboards are made of horse hairs.
- The Bible is the most shoplifted book.
- A snail can have 25,000 teeth.
- The entire world’s population (7.5 billion) could fit inside the 500 sq. miles of Los Angeles, standing shoulder to shoulder.
- The Dragon’s Breath chili pepper is so deadly it could kill you.
- Four babies are born every second.
- Your tongue is made up of 8 interwoven muscles, similar to an elephant’s trunk or octopus tentacle.
- Messages in the human brain travel along nerves at speeds up to 200 mph
- There are more bacteria in a human mouth than there are people in the world.
- If a human’s DNA were uncoiled, it would stretch 10 billion miles… that’s like from here to Pluto and back
- For an adult human, taking just one step uses up to 200 muscles.
- Next time you think you’re nothing… consider all the amazing things at work in your body! You are a masterpiece!
- Acacia trees can warn each other of danger by producing tannin and then sending out a gas cloud to warn other trees. How do we warn others?
- Eyes don’t have eyeballs, they have eye tubes. Because the tubes don’t move, they have developed a neck that does – and they can turn. And we all have see that. It turns 270 degrees. You and I only can turn 180 degrees. Make wise and flexible like the owl.
- African buffalo herds make decisions by voting. When trying to determine which way to go, a buffalo will look a certain direction. The direction that gets the most votes is the winner and that’s the way they go. Let’s trust the process.
The Pale Blue Dot photo was taken by Voyager 1, in 1990 from 3.7 BILLION miles or 40 AU! From there, Earth measures .12 of a pixel in size against the vastness of space. We’re on that planet, everyone in the world is on that planet, everyone who has ever lived has been on that planet. Earth is huge! And yet, compared with the universe, we are barely a speck. It kinda puts everything in perspective. We have a Creator who is amazing and has a much bigger picture than we do.
He is also called a water bear and as an adult will grow to .059 inches, but the smallest is .00394 inch! Yet, he is the hardiest animal on the planet. He can survive temperatures between -459 F and 300F, pressures 6x greater than the deepest ocean trenches, live up to 10 days in a vacuum, go without food or water for over 30 days, and dry out to only 3% of less water in his system AND THEN rehydrate, eat and reproduce!
Weird Nature facts –
- In any given year, you are more likely to be bitten by a New Yorker than by a shark. (sorry Sister)
- A blue whale can make a fart bubble big enough to fit a horse in it.
- Crows have unbelievable memories, and are able to recognize individual human faces for their whole lives.
- A group of lemurs is called a conspiracy.
- Belly buttons grow special hairs to catch lint.
- Messages from the human brain travel along nerves at speeds of up to 200 mph. You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
- Sea otters hold hands when they sleep to keep from drifting apart.
- Scientists recently (2017) “discovered” a human organ no one knew about. It is called the “MENSENTERY” and it connects the abdomen to the intestine. It is a immune system helper and heart helper. It’s been hiding in plain site. Man still is trying to “discover” the intricacies of God’s creation.
- Trying to get your steps in? The average person in their lifetime will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the world. Every step you take, HE is with you.
- The heart of a shrimp is located in its head. Humph…
- A snail can sleep for 3 years! See, you’re not lazy.
- Pigeons can do math. Seriously! Research done in 2011 showed that they can count. How ’bout Algebra? I need help there.
- You will grow 590 miles of hair in your lifetime and nose hairs count for 6.5 feet of the total. God knows about everyone of them and has them numbered. Matthew 10:30 That’s how well He knows you loves you.