Musings on Moving
Everything in the universe is moving. It never stops.
Everything is moving because there are forces at work causing that movement; forces like gravity and electromagnetism. If there were no forces at work, there would be no motion.
The Earth itself moves through space at a rate of 30/km sec. In the time it takes you to read this sentence, it will have moved 450 km- about the width of Ohio.
Earth spins on its axis at a rate of 1,000 mph, and a jumbo jet moves at 500 mph, about half as fast as Earth spins.
Movement is fundamental to life. We move our bodies to express wants, needs, emotions, thoughts and ideas. How well we move and how much we move determines how well we engage with the world.
We are advised, for the benefit of our own health, to develop a body that moves well. Our bodies are designed for movement and we must defeat the sedentary life.
Sir Issac himself, three centuries ago, submitted 3 revolutionary ideas about the laws of motion, which as we now know are the foundation of modern physics.
- Things cannot start, stop, or change directions by themselves
- When a constant force acts on a massive body it causes it to accelerate
- For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
I hope I haven’t lost your attention … but this moving issue is vital to us. Let’s look at these life lessons we can glean from the facts I’ve shared above:
- Movement is a constant in life. Things will move, change, rearrange, and relocate. Embrace it. Move with it. Adjust. Be fluid & flexible.
- There are forces at work causing the movement. Some you support, others you don’t; pick your battles and fight courageously. Not all forces are good.
- In the big picture, the speed of the movement isn’t the priority, it is that the movement is actually happening, albeit, often apparently slow.
- We were designed to move and engage the world. You can and do impact, by your motions, those around you.
- If you are an object at rest, a greater force will definitely act upon you to get you to move.
- Don’t be surprised if your motion accelerates, that’s good! It means a constant force is acting on you!
- Expect opposition and resistance when you move out, move on and move in. Newton told us about that too.
We need to understand, the world will not stop moving/changing. If the Earth stopped moving, the atmosphere would still be in motion at Earth’s rotational speed of 1,000 mph and the trees, soil, rocks, buildings, even your dog, would be swept into the atmosphere.
Movement/moving, changing position or thoughts over time is part of life. It will not stop.
As you feel the world swirl around you and whirlwinds blow past you, know that there is a Greater Force acting and willing to act on your behalf.
Learn to move with that Greater Force and keep on accelerating.
Cheers to you.